Well guys, today is the last day of my Whole30 challenge. What an experience! I’m happy and sad that it’s over all at the same time. I’m happy because I’m excited to eat my gluten-free chocolate chip gingerbread pancake tomorrow at Cafe Cappuccino. I have been craving those like nobody’s business. I’m sad because, well, I love the way I feel. I have had more energy and I’ve been enjoying everything I’m eating & the simplicity of it all. It’s been a great challenge to take on and is definitely not my last. I know a bunch of y’all jumped in and did this thing with me. How is everyone doing? If you are finishing up today, too- how was the challenge for you? I wanna hear thoughts! Owen and I leave tomorrow evening with some friends for a friend vacation in Scottsdale Arizona. I have been looking forward to this trip for months!! We are so excited and it’s a much-needed getaway time with refreshing people. All that to say, I will not be posting in the next week but you can always follow me on Instagram (@kitchenspired) for our foodie adventures in Arizona! Here is today’s edition of “How does Kipling sleep like that?” Enjoy!
I made these yummy little burgers on a whim one night when I was throwing together random stuff we had left in our fridge. I didn’t have high hopes for them, but they are super delicious! They are savory like chicken burgers but the cinnamon and sweet potato add a slight sweet spice that I just love. Try these out and let me know how you like them!
Sweet & Savory Sweet Potato Chicken Burgers
Serves about 3
- 1 lb ground lean chicken
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- Peel and cook your sweet potato. You can do this the quick way by wrapping it in a paper towel and microwaving it for 3 minutes, or wrap in tin foil and cook in the oven at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Once sweet potato is peeled and cooked through, mash it up and mix it with all the other ingredients together in a bowl.
- Once all ingredients are well-mixed (make sure mashed sweet potato is mixed well throughout the mixture), heat up a griddle or pan over medium-high heat. Lightly spray pan with cooking spray.
- Once pan or griddle is heated up, form patties with the chicken mixture in the palm of your hand and place on the pan to cook. Cook each side for 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- When the burger has been cooked on each side, set aside and let cool before serving. Enjoy!