My husband and I are starting the Whole30 challenge today!! I am really pumped about it, and especially grateful that he’s doing it with me. It makes it so much easier to have someone close to you doing a challenge like this with you! Why am I doing it? The past few months have been full of celebrations and FEASTING! Now my cravings are out of control and I feel like I have been eating with absolutely no limits. Feasting is fine for a time, but I think it is time for some “fasting” and getting re-focused again. Sometimes you have to hit the reset button on your body, and that’s okay!
If you have never heard of the Whole30 challenge, check out Whole30.com and then check out my Whole30 page by clicking the tab at the top of my site called “Whole 30.” I will occasionally be writing what we eat and how we feel throughout the challenge.
Also, a little photography update- I bought a camera but don’t have a lens. We’ll order one soon and then I’ll have better pictures once again!
I really love Torchy’s Tacos! You Texans may know what I’m talking about. Torchy’s is a super delicious taco place that originated in Austin and has spread across the state. We just got one here in Waco a few weeks ago, and I am SO happy about it! Luckily, it is super packed all the time so I’ve only had the opportunity to have it twice since it has made it’s way to my city. Twice in the past 3 weeks is really not bad. I know, I know- tacos aren’t technically paleo, but I am fine with eating corn on occasion and I definitely make sure to order no cheese. It’s different for everyone!
Anyways, one of my favorite tacos they have is a fried avocado taco. I love it so much but I’m pretty sure the breading is made with flour, which is a bummer. I decided the other night that I wanted to do a gluten free version to make with some fish tacos. They were yummy and hit the spot!! So make these bad boys ASAP, but them on some tacos and top them with some of my delicious kiwi salsa. You will not regret it!
- 1 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 3 small avocados (more on the firm/hard side)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a wide-rimmed bowl (good for dipping), mix almond meal, chili powder, oregano, cumin, pepper, & garlic powder until it is all mixed well.
- In separate wide-rimmed bowl, whisk the egg.
- Cut your avocados into strips that are about 1/4″ thick. How I did this- I cut the avocados in half longways & removed the seed, then peeled off the outside peel. I then cut the avocados into slices.
- Place an oven-safe wire cooling rack on top of a baking sheet.
- One by one, dip the avocado slices in the egg yolk, then remove it with a fork and place it in the almond meal mixture. Coat it well, remove it with a fork, and place it on the wire rack. Repeat for all slices of avocado.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until the outside is lightly browned but now dark. Remove from oven and let cool.