How is everyone doing this morning?
I’ve been sitting here for like an hour this morning trying to figure out what I want to write about on this post. I decided to share an idea that my husband and I have been doing. We like to call it the Commercial Break Sweat Fest. Okay, we actually don’t call it that at all, but that’s what I’m calling it today!
We don’t watch TV often at all, and we don’t even have cable, but on weekends sometimes when we are trying to recover from a busy week, we like to sit and watch some TV on Hulu Plus. Mostly Biggest Loser and Shark Tank. Instead of just sitting on our booties the entire hour of the show, we take the 2 minute commercial breaks to get up and get moving! And I want to challenge you guys to do the same next time you are watching TV with your family!
Here are some exercises to choose from:
Jogging in place
Laps around the living room
Squat holds- 30 second intervals
Step-ups (use a chair or heavy duty table)
Single-leg squats (Place one leg on a chair or table behind you and squat with other leg only)
Tricep push ups
Tricep dips (use a table or chair)
If you have weights- Overhead presses
Full Sit ups
Partner Leg pushes (Lay with your back on the floor, legs together and up at a 90 degree angle. Your partner pushes your legs down, don’t let them touch the floor, bring them back up…using your core!)
Pick an exercise and try to do the exercise for the entire commercial break! If the commercial break is long, go until you can’t do the exercise any more. Rest a couple seconds, then do jumping jacks or high knees for 30 seconds. Start the exercise again until the commercial break is over. It’s especially fun when you have everyone involved! These are just a few options- Research other easy exercises to do and add to the list!
If you participate in the Commercial Break Sweat Fest, post a pic on twitter or instagram and use the hashtag #CommercialBreakSweat. Tag @kitchenspired so we can see who’s taking on the challenge!
If you need a “fancy” dinner that’s easy and inexpensive, this recipe is for you! My husband, after he ate this yesterday, told me “I don’t even like beef and I loved this!” So…there you have it! Need I say more? I think the title speaks for itself. Try it out and let me know how this goes!!
Balsamic Proscuitto-Wrapped Beef
- 1 lb grass-fed beef, cut into thin strips (they come like that when I buy them)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 10 slices smoked prosciutto
- 1 tbsp sage
- sea salt
- Heat up a medium-sized pan that has a lid to go with it over medium heat. Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan.
- Cut your thin strips of beef into pieces no bigger than the palm of your hand (See picture)
- One by one, fold the strip of beef in half and place on a slice of prosciutto. Wrap the prosciutto slice around the beef. *Note- if you have thicker beef or a different cut, you should still be able to wrap it the way you want and be fine. This is just how I wrapped it!
- Place the prosciutto-wrapped beef in the pan. Make sure the side with the ends is face down, touching the pan.
- Once you have done this for all the pieces of beef and placed them in the pan, sprinkle the sage and salt evenly on top.
- Reduce your heat to low-medium, cover, and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover, flip each piece of meat, cover, and let cook for 5 more minutes.
- One by one, remove each piece of meat from the pan, letting any excess liquid drip off of the meat.
- Serve with roasted brussel sprouts and enjoy!
- 2 cups of brussel sprouts, cut in half longways
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add all of your ingredients and mix really well until all of the brussel sprouts are lightly coated.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray lightly with cooking spray (optional). Spread out brussel sprouts in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove, let cool, and enjoy!