Have you guys missed me?
I missed you!
This last week my husband and I had the opportunity to go on a spring break mission trip to South Texas with the amazing college ministry at our church. This trip changed our lives while we were in college, so it was truly a privilege to get to see that happen in the students’ lives (and our own again!).
I learned so many things on this trip!! These are some of the things that I learned:
- You can either make excuses, or make it happen. Our days were packed, and we had early mornings & late nights. I decided early on that I can keep exercising and training (I have a half marathon on Saturday) if I plan and make no excuses! It was challenging, but I got to exercise 4 out of the 7 days we were there. I’d say that was a win! Also, I set my mind to remain gluten and dairy free, even with the food that they served us. I was able to be creative with what they served and not have gluten or dairy the entire trip!
- If you want to have breakthrough in a certain area of your life, serve others. Getting behind other people, serving them, and making their dreams happen will give you breakthrough in your own areas of need. If you are feeling down or need encouragement, encourage someone else. If you haven’t felt initiated with by friends, be an initiator. This week was a lot of pouring out for my husband and I, but we realized as we came back that we are more full and satisfied than when we left. Honor, encourage, lift up, support, help, and serve others. It’s always worth it!
- You can have the healthiest exercise and eating habits, but if you’re not spiritually healthy, it doesn’t mean anything. You are more valuable and purposeful than just a nice body. You have a destiny and were created for a purpose beyond what you can imagine. I don’t know where I would be without friendship with Jesus. He gives me joy, life, purpose, peace, and even though I mess up more than I can count, He sticks closer than a brother. It was amazing getting to see college students encounter the person of Jesus for the first time, and then see them walk away a completely transformed person. We are all messes and we can’t do it on our own. Jesus is here to take our burdens and fight the battle for us. I could write an entire 10+ blog posts about that, but if you want to talk about it any further, feel free to email me.
So I’m happy to be back home, and back in action making food for you guys!
Today’s recipe is simple, easy, & full of nutrients! I love chia seeds, and they are so good for you! This is a simple way to get the benefits of chia seeds into your diet. I used blackberries because they’re my favorite, but feel free to use some other berry. I like to use the jam on top of pumpkin pancakes or a baked sweet potato. Or on a spoon straight from the jar. Yep, I went there.
- 2 cups frozen blackberries (or other berries)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp raw chia seeds
- Put your frozen berries in a saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water and honey to the berries, mix up, and set heat on low. Cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and mix up the berry honey water mixture. Remove from heat. With the back of the spoon or utensil of choice, squish the berries in the pan until it is like a thick sauce. Option- transfer mixture to a blender and pulse for 10 seconds.
- After the mixture has cooled a little bit, add the chia seeds and mix well. Put the jam in a jar and refrigerate. Let it set for at least 2 hours until using. Enjoy!