I got a major hair cut!!
When I talk to people about what they need the most as far as cooking help & recipes go, I always get the same response- breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day, but also at the most rushed time of the day. Add in morning grogginess and people just don’t care much to make a good breakfast.
I love breakfast. I didn’t always love it- growing up I never ate breakfast in the morning before school. I carried that over a little bit into college until I started valuing my health a little more. I have a staple of what I eat in the mornings- eggs with some kind of sausage or meat & veggies. You just chop them up in the skillet, add some eggs, and you have a filling meal in less than 5 minutes. This breakfast every day is different depending on what I have in the fridge. Another thing I do is heat leftovers from the night before and add an egg on top. Easy.
However, if you are sick of eggs, what I said above is no help. But, I have a little alternative here for you! This is a flavorful breakfast option that is still packed with protein and has veggies galore! It’s a nice little change to add in to the mix. Feel free to use the veggies I have listed or change it up based on what you have in your fridge. I just like these veggies the most and thought they tasted great with bacon.
Bacon & Salmon Breakfast Skillet
serves about 1 or 2 people
- 4 pieces of bacon
- about 5 or 6 brussel sprouts
- 1/2 small zucchini
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 5 oz can pink salmon (I used the boneless & skinless kind)
- some salt & pepper
- In a pan over medium heat, cook the strips of bacon.
- While the bacon is cooking, cut up your veggies.
- Once bacon is fully cooked and crispy, set aside on a plate with a paper towel, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add your veggies & minced garlic to the pan with the bacon grease, and let cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the brussel sprouts look nicely roasted.
- Add in the salmon, salt & pepper, and continue to sautee for about 5 more minutes.
- While the salmon & veggies are cooking, break up your bacon into small pieces.
- Reduce the heat to low, and sprinkle your bacon pieces on top of the salmon & veggie mixture. Cook for about 1 more minutes, mixing well.
- Plate & enjoy!