Did I ever tell you guys about the amazing coffee bar my husband built for me for Christmas?
Fellow coffee lovers, prepare to be amazed:
Since we moved into our current house in May, I’ve been wanting a little coffee bar in this space. We’ve just never found the right piece of furniture at an affordable price, so it just didn’t happen. But he snuck around this Christmas and made this beauty for me. I’m in love…and the coffee bar is nice, too. 🙂
This next recipe is so filling and delicious! I must start by saying it is not 21-Day Sugar Detox approved because of the quinoa (& the sweet potatoes if you don’t need the energy modifications), but if you wanted to exclude the quinoa, that’s fine– just use 4 cups of the broth instead of 5. I created this recipe before the detox started but wanted to share it with y’all in the middle of this crazy winter weather we’re all experiencing! Speaking of detox, if you want to follow my journey, click here.
This soup is super filling and is a meal in & of itself. With so many different ingredients & flavors it can stand on it’s own. Hope you enjoy!
Winter Chorizo & Sweet Potato Soup
Makes about 4 servings
- 10-12 oz chorizo sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed or sliced
- 5 cups low sodium natural chicken broth
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups chopped kale
- Heat a large deep pot over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chorizo sausage and cook until browned.
- Drain the sausage and set aside, leaving about 1 tsp of the sausage grease in the pot.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic to the pot and cook until onions are transulcent.
- Add sweet potatoes to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the 5 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add quinoa, cover the pot and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the sausage back into the soup.
- Add the kale and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted.
- Serve hot and enjoy!