There’s an amazing woman on our staff at work who is currently fighting breast cancer. She has handled the journey of fighting cancer with authenticity, courage, and grace. She comes to the office even though she is currently undergoing chemotheraphy treatment. The chemo makes her white blood cell counts super low, which makes her more susceptible to getting sick since her immune system is weak.
As a staff, we have been doing all we can to make the work environment safe for her. We are committed to staying healthy despite it being cold season, even bringing flu vaccinations to our office so that we could get our shots. We are all doing our best to keep her strong as an attempt to fight this battle with her.
Watching her go through this courageous journey and seeing such a response from the community around her has inspired me. It has made me want to do something, even in just a small way, to stand and fight with her. That is how this recipe came to be!
I wanted to create something that has powerful & healing ingredients to fight off colds this season. Even though it’s that time of year, we can further protect ourselves from sickness if we feed our bodies what they need to make us strong!
This recipe has a mixture of green tea leaves, ginger, honey, garlic, and lemon. It’s like enjoying a hot cup of green tea in your chicken for dinner! This recipe is easy as long as you have time to let it marinate, and it makes some good leftovers. Enjoy!
- 1- 1.5 lbs chicken breast, thawed
- 4 green tea bags
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 lemons
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- salt & pepper
- At least one hour before cooking the chicken (you can also do this the morning of), place your tea bags in a bowl and add the 1 cup of hot water. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags from the bowl and set aside.
- Juice one of the lemons and add the juice and the rest of the ingredients other than the chicken to the tea. Open up 2 of the used tea bags and add the green tea leaves to the mixture. Whisk ingredients together.
- Grab your chicken breast, and cut 1″ slivers throughout each piece of chicken. You could also just poke the chicken with a fork to form a bunch of holes.
- Put the chicken in a large Ziploc bag. If you don’t have a bag large enough, split your chicken breasts into smaller bags.
- Pour the green tea mixture into the bag with the chicken (if using several small bags, separate liquid evenly into each of the bags).
- Slice your other lemon into thin slices and place about 3 slices on top of each chicken breast inside the bag(s).
- Place bag(s) of chicken and marinade in the refrigerator for 1 -8 hours (the longer they marinate, the stronger the flavor you will get.)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab a deep baking pan and pull your chicken out of the fridge. Place chicken in the baking pan and add all the marinade to the pan. Keep the slices of lemon on top of the chicken.
- Wrap a piece of foil over the top of the pan and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove, let cool, and enjoy!
May 2014 be a year where we act upon the things that inspire us!