My goal was to finish all of our Christmas shopping by the 15th. Today (Dec 20th) is when I actually finished Christmas shopping. I’m only 5 days later than my goal this year, so I’m still counting that as a major win! I used to be really bad at shopping for people and would find any excuse to opt out with a gift card or a lunch date on me. Now, I’m actually enjoying picking out things and taking the time to do the shopping (still with an occasional gift card and lunch date thrown in). It’s definitely my husband’s influence.
This recipe is one of my faves because it is super easy and includes three of my favorite ingredients of all time: bacon, plantains, and cinnamon. Plantains remind me of childhood and extended family. I never had a Puerto Rican family gathering where plantains weren’t involved in some way. Plantains are the epitome of Puerto Rican comfort food! We ate them fried, baked, as chips, salty & garlicky, sweet, and savory…you name it, we prepared them that way. Now that I’m older and cooking on my own, I have enjoyed experimenting with plantains to make different dishes.
This combination of flavors is insanely good. The only thing I don’t like about this recipe is waiting the 30 minutes for them to cook in the oven…but since you are most likely a lot more patient than I am, that shouldn’t be a problem! I like to serve this as a side- about 2 per person should do the trick.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 plantain (go for the really brown ones, not super yellow or green…This is important!)
- 6 slices uncooked bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut your plantain into three strips longways, then cut each strip in half to make six pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Wrap each piece of plantain with one piece of bacon.
- Dash each piece with a bit of cinnamon.
- Stick in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the bacon is thoroughly cooked through and slightly crispy.
- Remove from oven and let cool.Enjoy!
Leave a comment if you make this & how you like it!